Sunbeds and my skin

03:48


Everyone wants to be that tanned god or goddess now and why shouldn’t they?! especially with lighter complexions, we prefer to have a tan because we want to look more radiant and having that tan makes us feel better about ourselves.

I was probably the spottiest child in school, acne has controlled my life from the age of around 10 or 11. Not the odd one or two, I was covered. Cheeks, forehead, chest and and the worst was on my back. As a kid this can really effect your confidence and growing into a young adult.

It took me a couple of holidays to realise my skin was always clearer on my return, plus I’d have the glow and who doesn’t love that!! Whist at university I visited my grandparents in Portugal, when I came back to sunny England my friends kept telling me how much better my skin looked, I was beaming! One of the girls who was a regular on the sunbeds mentioned to me that I should try it for my skin, I would always tell her off for it and not to mention the Final Destination film scared the crazy out of me!!

There are pros and cons to a sunbed and I had to research them all before I could face my fear and jump on! I am now an every now and then sunbed goer, not for the tan I don’t go on often enough or long enough for that but my skin is better than it has ever been.


A sunbed is funnily enough a bed; this toasty warm bed produces ultraviolet (UV) radiation which is used to achieve a tanned complexion, sounds scary but it isn’t... If you are thinking of using sunbeds like I was, think of all the options and if it is really worth doing. Even talking to your doctor or GP about it when deciding to tan on a sunbed or not, it is important to remember the health risks as well as potential benefits.

First and foremost, we will get the negatives out of the way cancer being the top negative on everyone’s list. Numerous studies have been done and shown to have been associated with squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma, which are skin cancers, as well as ocular melanoma, which is an eye cancer. Not wearing the goggles provided can increase your risk of eye cancer. It has been noted that people who tan in sunbeds are more likely to develop skin cancer over someone who has never used one. Any form of UV radiation exposure is deemed unsafe and could damage your skin cells.

Another can be seen as premature aging. Sunbeds can dry out the skin causing a loss of elasticity in the skin and naturally depleting it over time, diminishing even faster and damaging the skin cells. This is responsible for wrinkles on our skin, which age you much faster than you would normally.

An obvious negative can be sunburn. Sunbeds can cause it just like sunbathing on a hot beautiful day. People with fair skin can be prone to burning on a tanning bed, especially us with that ginger gene! Tt can cause people with sensitive skin to have an allergic reaction to the UV radiation and will experience a red, itchy rash.



Right!!! Let’s be a bit more positive please, I really dislike being a negative nelly! One of the obvious benefits of using a sunbed is the beautiful glowing tan that it gives you, people believe that tanned skin is more attractive. Having that tan can help to reduce any imperfections that you may have concerns about on your body cellulite being a massive one!

For myself I find that there is something oddly relaxing about stripping down and getting into a cosy warm sunbed (I don’t like tan lines…). Where I go is amazing, the girls that work there are so lovely and I can even put on my own music and sing my heart out! It is a very calm experience and not scary at all. However, I’m not so sure how calm the people listening to me sing are…

I have also seen in research that those with dermatitis and psoriasis may find relief with medically advised treatment with UV rays. Self-treatment at your local tanning salon, however, is not recommended.

For me personally it was my acne and how reducing my skin problem has given me the confidence to love my skin out of makeup. I tried all of the creams and strong medication that the doctor prescribed, one that actually worked after years and years it was amazing and I can go into detail about my skin regime another time, however to summarise… Yes, there are some massive negatives about jumping on a sunbed, you have to do it for the right reasons for you.


Sorry for the gay pose and trout pout... It was late... Naked skin and I love it!! (P.S. Not drawn my eyebrows on just tinted them yesterday).

Where I visit –
Instagram @thetanningshopbirmingham

What I use when I tan –
Australian Gold, dark tanning accelerator.
(Not to be used as a sunscreen and does not protect against sunburn).

ALWAYS WEAR GOGGLES!!!!

Research, read and be safe guys!!

Lots of love, Saffron. Xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments